Sunday, March 27, 2011

~Ode to Montana~

Snowflakes are falling the hilltop is quiet.
Rest my Friend under a soft white blanket
I still hear your nicker,  a whisper,
Feel your warm breath,
Against my face  I wonder….

Together we had the best of times
A body can have,
You made my Spirit soar in our quest

 So many miles you carried me on your back,
Together we lived  Glory of the Old West
The “Old West” is gone,
Yet we hang on
To the Glory….

Follow the path, along old trails,
On the Pony Express  we Race
You and I win in the Nevada rain

The memory is vivid on the canvas of my brain
We race the desert wind, on  salt flats,
 blue sky above, distant hills on the Range
Our hearts beat as one, as we ride  
With the Warriors of the Sun
Surrounded by  “Ghost Riders of the Sky”
You had that look of Eagles in your eye

Your tired body is gone my Friend
The memory of  happiest times will never end
You gave me everything so selfless
I hang on to your Great Spirit never the less

You are a wise old Soul, taught me so much
To cherish Freedom to never give up

Farewell my Friend, I will see you again
When my time comes to leave
We shall ride again…





2 comments:

  1. I have never claimed to be a "Poet" yet I wrote this poem to my very best friend and "Soul Mate" Montana.....I miss you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a moving beautiful tribute. Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete